It is difficult to find a new research area to know how to write a research paper but if you find it, it is very essential. You can ask your instructor for it but they will prefer to search by yourself. But there are some tips to keep in mind, before deciding it:
- Work on your ideas regularly.
- Choose a topic that are referable.
- You can find the topic material easily and manage it properly.
- Find important words.
- Don’t be rigid.
- Your research topic should be a focused question.
- Study and find more about your topic.
- Combine whole data as presentable thesis.
So, we should understand the process step by step:
STEP I – WORK ON YOUR IDEAS REGULARLY
Choose a topic from your favorable areas. You can work on your ideas by asking yourself:
- Does your topic affects current controversy?
- Do you want to publish your research paper?
- Do you want to learn more or research about a specific interesting topic that was taught in your class?
You can also search on the websites related to your topic, like:
- If you are interested in sports or sports person health issues, search on internet or its website.
- If you are interested in new product designs, search for it.
Write down the important words and use it in your research paper or thesis.
STEP II – READ MORE ABOUT THE TOPIC
Read on Wikipedia or topic related blogs. It can be beneficial for your research paper or improve your literature. You can go to library and search for your topic or even ask the librarian to help find the material. You can also read the encyclopedia books like Encyclopedia Britannica and soon.
STEP III – SPECIFY YOUR TOPIC
Your topic should be easy to manage. If your topic belongs to a vast field such as ‘Environment’. Specify it or focus by choosing its sub-field, like:
- By continents or geographical area :
For ex – Asia environment or America environment
- By time intervals :
For ex- Is there any change in environment in this century?
- Effects on population :
For ex- What are the effects of environmental pollution on humans?
- Local environment effects :
For ex- topics covered in local newspaper like what is the effect of polluted water supply on humans?
- Current issues :
This can be find only in magazine articles or newspapers.
- Culture :
How can a community or culture survive in a particular environment?
STEP – IV LIST THE IMPORTANT WORDS
Write down the keywords that can be used in your topic:
- Find the words while reading related encyclopedia articles or Wikipedia.
- Write the words that can describe your topic in a better way.
- Search short term or its synonyms and increase your searching capabilities by searching key concepts.
STEP – V DON’T BE RIGID
Don’t be rigid to your topic, you never know what you can find during research process. You can find too much or too short for your topic. This is normal. You can also find some other interesting aspects related to your topic which can be managed. But you should keep in mind how much length of the research paper, project, bibliography or other research assignments you want? You can read below rough requirements of a research paper or project:
|NO. OF PAPER PAGES||SOURCES TO WRITE|
|1-2||2-3 magazine articles or Web sites|
|3-5||4-8 items, including book, articles (scholarly and/or popular) and Web sites|
|Annotated Bibliography||6-15 items including books, scholarly articles, Web sites and other items|
|10-15||12-20 items, including books, scholarly articles, web sites and other items|
STEP – VI YOUR RESEARCH TOPIC SHOULD BE A FOCUSED QUESTION
You can sometimes start with a word and develop interest related to that word and then start asking questions related to your topic related to it.
For ex.- Ideas = Frank Lloyd Wright or modern architecture
Research Question = How has Frank Lloyd Wright influenced modern architecture?
Focused Research Question = What design principles used by Frank Lloyd Wright are common in contemporary homes?
STEP – VII STUDY AND FIND MORE ABOUT YOUR TOPIC
Use the keywords and research information before deciding your topic. You should ask by yourself how much information you can gather to solve and find the result of your research topic ?
STEP – VIII COMBINE WHOLE DATA AS PRESENTABLE THESIS
You can formulate your research topic as thesis statement. It can be of two or three lines. This can answer your research topic. There should be an evidence to prove your answer of your research topic like take previous famous person works.
The title of your research topic must convey your main purpose and meaning of your research.
Remember to follow your instructor tips and instructions.
Team Academic Guru